Chicken Enchilada Dip

This has to be one of my family's all time favorite dips.  It is so easy, it's only 4 ingredients & your crock pot does all the work!  Slowly cooking the chicken in the enchilada sauce makes it so tender it shreds on it's own.  This dip is creamy, spicy, cheesy & just plain yummy!!
Ingredients:
2 Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
1 small can (10 oz) of Enchilada Sauce (Mild, Medium, or Hot)
1- 8oz pkg Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
1 1/2- 2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese (or Pepper Jack) 

Directions:
Pour the can of enchilada sauce into a crock pot.  I use a medium size crock pot for this.  You can choose how spicy you want your dip starting here.  I use Mild & it is still a little spicy, at least to me.  I also have found that different brands of enchilada sauces come in different size cans.  It doesn't really matter, just get a can that is some where between the size of condensed soup & canned vegetables (for 2 chicken breasts). 
Place the raw boneless & skinless chicken breasts into the enchilada sauce & cook on medium to high for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally.  Alternatively, you could do this for longer on low, probably about 7-8 hours. 
This is about half way through, you can see that the chicken is already starting to break apart.  I usually 'help' it along with a rubber spatula.
Here it is, chicken fully cooked & shredded in the sauce. 
When the chicken is shredded, add the cream cheese & stir to incorporate.
Once the cream cheese is incorporated, add the shredded cheese.  Again, you can decide how spicy you want to make it.  Add pepper jack if you like it hot, if not add what ever cheese you prefer.  I've made it with colby jack, monteray jack, cheddar, mozzarella & this particular time I used American.  Trust me, it's all good, just make sure it's a cheese that melts well. 
I gradually add the cheese, stirring to incorporate each time.
I love this dip with Frito Scoops!
I also made Homemade Tortilla Chips to serve with it.
But you could probably eat a tennis shoe with this stuff on it....yep, it's that good!!

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I love using my slow cooker, wil have to try this!

    ReplyDelete