First, let me point out that these are not my pictures. I found on them on PasstheSushi.com. Their recipe is slightly different than mine, but it's basically the same. You should check out their site, there are lots of other delicious recipes to look at too!
This Bubble Up Pizza is such an easy, fun recipe! I had to share it, even if I didn't take the pictures myself! It appears to be an old recipe but I had never heard of it before. There are several versions floating around but they all the same basic ingredients. We tried it last week & everyone loved it. We make pizza just about every Friday night but occasionally I want to change it up. This is the perfect compromise. My daughter still gets her pizza fix, but we also get some variety. It is super easy to make. I let my little one add the cheese & toppings, just like she would if we were making a pizza. You can even give the kids kitchen shears & let them cut up the dough! Add in your favorite pizza toppings & make it to your preference. You really can't go wrong with this one. I was concerned about the dough aspect, I thought biscuits with pizza ingredients would be odd. But it wasn't, at all! In fact, if I hadn't made it myself, I wouldn't have guess it was made out of biscuit dough! It tastes just like a thick crust pizza & it is yummy! I made my own pizza sauce, but you could easily use a jarred pizza or pasta sauce too. Give this bubble up pizza a try, you will not be disappointed!
3- 7.5oz cans of Refrigerated Biscuits (or 2- 12oz cans)
1- 15oz can of Tomato Sauce
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 1/2 cups Mozzarella, shredded
Pizza Toppings (optional): pepperoni, ham, sausage, mushrooms, olives, onions, etc.
1. Preheat oven according to the biscuit packaging's instructions. (The kind I used was to 400 degrees.) Grease a casserole dish or oven save skillet. (I used a 9X13 glass casserole dish coated with nonstick spray.)
2. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce with the Dried Oregano & Granulated Garlic. (I didn't really measure the seasonings, I just add them to taste.)
3. Cut the biscuits in half or quarter. (I halved them because I used the smaller biscuits. If you use larger ones, you'll want to quarter them.)
4. Combine the cut up biscuit dough with 3/4 of the pizza sauce, 1/2 of the cheese, & 1/2 of your toppings. (We used ham, black olives & onion.) Toss to coat well & pour evenly into the casserole dish or skillet.
5. Top with remaining sauce, cheese & toppings, just like a regular pizza.
6. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the biscuits are fully cooked. (This will take longer to cook than the directions on the biscuits.)
7. Let cool slightly before serving & enjoy!!
This recipe makes 6-8 servings.