Crispy Smashed Red Potatoes

I have died & gone to potato lover's heaven! This is my absolute favorite potato recipe. (Shhhh, don't tell my homemade french fries!) Creamy red potato inside with crispy, salty outside- these are serious good & seriously addicting!! Oh my gosh, just look at that crunchy skin & that creamy white inside!! And they are so easy to make, all you need are red potatoes, olive oil & salt & pepper!! Here is what you do:

Boil your (well scrubbed) potatoes whole until they are fork tender. Then drain them. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle olive oil (liberally) on the bottom of a sheet pan. Put the boiled potatoes on the oiled pan.
Using a potato smasher (yes, I think that it the official name of this utensil) smash the potatoes. You can use anything really, a cup or mug, a plate, what ever works. Just a little note to all my fellow perfectionists- I was really upset the first time I did this. They kept falling apart & the potatoes stuck to the smasher. It is OK! Trust me! Just pick up the pieces that fall apart with your fingers & put them back together. They will be fabulous, no worries!

***The next time I made these, I used my meat mallet, with the smooth side. This worked fabulously. It was much easier & the potatoes didn't stick to it & fall apart as much. See:
Then drizzle more olive oil over the smashed potatoes & season with some salt & pepper. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes then carefully flip. This may also cause stress as they may not hold together threw the flip. Again- it's ok! Just put them back together!!
Bake for another 15 minutes, until they are wonderfully crispy on the outside.
Oh my goodness- I can't wait to make them again! I made this on one of our 'breakfast for dinner' evenings with my Eggs in a Nest & Bacon. But they would pair nicely with just about anything!

13 comments:

  1. I made these for my fiancé tonight along with the Panko & Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts and they were both fantastic! Thanks for the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely fantastic! I've been reading through your blog and I can't wait to try a lot of the recipes. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you get the skin so crispy??? My electric oven was set to 450 but it didn't get the skin as crispy as your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy- I'm sorry this didn't work for you! I hope you give them another try! We love them. Here are my top tips for ensuring crispy skin:
    Make sure you use enough oil,. Next, be sure that your oven is heating up to 450 degrees. I keep a thermometer in mine, as it's never accurate. Also, other than flipping half way through, keep the oven door shut for the potatoes to cook. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipes all look fantastic! I may have to run out and buy some potatoes so I can make this!! Yummy!! I love your site!!

    ~JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are in my oven baking as I type this! I made the hubby a grocery list that consisted of ingredients for THREE of your recipes!! I cannot wait to try them!! :)

    ~JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made these tonight and they were so scrumptious. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used butter instead of olive oil and didn't flip them, just baking for 35 minutes. Oh my, they were delicious! Next time I'll try flipping them. Served them with some fried onions. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made these last night for my potato loving Irish boyfriend...they got two thumbs up and a proper seal of approval!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made them (and added some cheese >.>) and love them! pinning this recipe and passing it on. Rock on O.B.D.L

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these ironically just how the first commenter did, with the panko-parm crusted chicken. Both were AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these were excellent even my skeptical husband liked them will definitely make again. Also I had no problem getting them crispy. Thank you for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These were soo yummy!! Will be making again.

    ReplyDelete