Eggs In a Nest

Aren't these little eggs cups the cutest little things that you've ever seen? I just love them! Not only are they cute but they are delicious! The buttered bread on the bottom toasts perfectly while holding & cooking the egg. Oh, and did I mention there was cheese between the bread & the egg?? YES! You must give these a try!! Ingredients:
Eggs
Whole Wheat Bread
Shredded White Cheddar
Butter (room temperature)
Salt & Pepper
Directions:
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Butter or spray with non stick cooking spray individual ramekins or muffin tins. Cut the crusts off all 4 sides of your bread. Then butter both sides of the bread.
Push the buttered bread into the bottom of the buttered ramekins (or muffin tin). Place in the oven at 450 degrees for 2-3 minutes, just to slightly toast the bread.
Then place a little shredded cheese in each ramekin, on top of the bread.
Crack 1 egg into each dish, on top of the cheese. Then sprinkle a little more cheese on top & season with salt & pepper.
Bake at 450 degrees until the whites are set & the yolk is cooked to your liking.
Every oven cooks differently so you're just going to have to test yours out, but here's my estimates. Cook it for 8 minutes for over easy (with a runny yolk). I cooked these for 10 minutes & they were medium. Keep in mind, that they will continue to cook as they sit!
YUM! The buttery toast is like a perfectly cooked grilled cheese with the egg on top, it is delicious!! My picky 4 year old ate this UP too! And we can't usually get her to eat eggs. I made these for one of our 'Breakfast for Dinner' nights with Smashed Red Potatoes & Bacon.

These are also called Birds in a Nest, Eggs in a Basket & One Eyed Sailor all of which I get. But they are also called Toads in a Hole, Frogs in Hole, & Chicken in a Basket all of which I don't get. I'm sure there are tons more names too, but I'm going to stick with Eggs in a Nest. :)

4 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! That looks delicious and makes for a nice presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I used to love eating eggs in a nest when I was a kid. I love how you added cheese and baked them in the oven. What a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish! I wonder how they would be in wonton skins?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim- I think I've seen it done with wonton skins, but I've not tried it. I bet it would be good. Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete