Cornell Chicken

I just had to try this chicken. My best friend's parents make it & she has raved about it for years! It is an old recipe originally developed by a Professor at Cornell University (hence it's name). I think it is so ironic that my husband is from that part of NY but didn't know about it until now! (Maybe he just didn't pay attention to what he ate as much as he does now?!?) For those of you that haven't heard of it before, here's a couple of links with more info: http://www.cornell.edu/search/index.cfm?tab=facts&q=&id=132 http://www.roadsidefans.com/chicken.html
Don't shy away from this marinade just because it has a raw egg in it either! I think it's what gives the chicken such great texture! Ingredients:
(for the Marinade/ Sauce)
1 cup Vegetable Oil (or Canola)
2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
3 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Poultry Seasoning
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 Egg
They say that this is enough for 4-5 whole chickens.

Directions:
Beat the egg in a large bowl. Then add the oil & whisk together. Then add the rest of the ingredients & whisk. The poultry seasoning turns it a lovely sage green color.
We poured a little less than half of the marinade into a plastic bag with our boneless, skinless chicken breasts. It's meant to be made with bone on, skin on chicken. I only had boneless, skinless breasts on hand because that's what I usually prefer. So that's what I made with it & it turned out great! I can't wait to try it again with bone in & skin on chicken breasts though! The marinade coats the outside of the chicken, I think it'll make the skin perfectly crispy!
They say that the unused marinade will keep for several weeks, refrigerated in a glass container so I'm saving the rest for next time!
I marinaded our chicken breasts for about 7 hours, when I do bone in, skin on I will for 24 hours. If you are pressed for time, I would say do it for a minimum of 2. These birds are ready for the grill! Light you charcoal chimney or fire up that gas grill!
Pour the marinade into a sauce pot & bring to a boil. Bast chicken with the sauce while grilling. We grill our boneless, skinless chicken breasts over direct (medium/high) heat for 5-6 minutes per side.
Bring chicken in from the grill, cover with tin foil & let rest for 5 minutes. See that coating on the exterior?!? I'm pretty sure that's from the egg. Yum!
I sprinkled some fresh parsley over mine to serve. It was delish!! I can't wait to make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment