Spaghetti and Meatballs

My daughter has loved Spaghetti & Meatballs ever since she saw Lady & the Tramp eating it for the first time. I, however, have not always been a fan. Growing up we always just ate spaghetti with meat sauce, so that was my preference. But my husband, a NY native, loves meatballs too. So, I decided to learn to make them. My first (several) attempts at it were ok but not good enough to win me over...until I came up with this recipe. Now I love Spaghetti & Meatballs too! Ingredients:
(For the Meatballs)
1 lb lean ground Beef
1/2 cup dried, Italian seasoned, Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Large,Yellow Onion, chopped
3 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tbsp Ketchup
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
(For the Sauce)
1- 15 oz can Tomato Sauce
1/2 of the sauteed Onion & Garlic mixture (from the meatballs)
1 good squirt (about 1 tsp) of Tomato Paste
1 tsp dried, Italian Seasoning
1tsp Garlic Powder
Directions:
Preheat over to 425 degrees. Heat the Olive Oil in a chef's pan over medium/ high heat. Add the chopped onion & saute until tender. Then add the garlic & cook for 1-2 minutes longer. Turn the burner off & allow the onion mixture to cool some. In a medium sized mixing bowls, combine the rest of the ingredients with 1/2 of the onion mixture. Reserve the other half in the pan.
Roll into golf ball sized balls & place on a sheet pan. (Wet your hands with water before you shape the balls. This will keep the mixture from sticking to your hands!) Cook for 20 minutes. While the meatballs are in the oven, make the sauce. Add the can of tomato sauce, tomato paste & seasonings to the chef's pan with the onion & garlic mixture. (If you don't have a tube of tomato paste, just omit that.) Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally.
After meatballs have cooked for 20 minutes, let them sit & cool for about 10-15 minutes. Check the seasoning in your sauce & adjust if you need to.
After the meatballs have cooled some. Add the desired amount to the warm sauce. Since there are only 3 of us, I only cook half of my meatballs. I allow the other half to completely cool, then I put them in a Ziploc & freeze for another dinner.
Simmer the meatballs on low, with the lid on for at least 30 minutes. The longer it sits, the better it's going to taste. I like to do it early & let it sit for an hour or longer. I usually don't keep the heat on the whole time when I'm cooking it that long though. I'll keep it on low for 30 min & then turn it off & just let the sauce thicken & marry with the meatballs.
Cook your spaghetti, according to package directions. I usually serve this with a Caesar or Italian Vinaigrette dressed salad & garlic bread!! Grate some fresh Parmesan & sprinkle some freshly chopped parsley or basil over top. Mama Mia those are some good meatballs!
I couldn't possibly blog about Spaghetti & Meatballs & not share these pictures!! Here are 'Lady & the Tramp' eating spaghetti & meatballs at Tony's Town Square Restaurant in Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL (the restaurant that served the famously romantic meal to Lady & the Tramp in the original movie).

No comments:

Post a Comment