Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

I don't know anyone that doesn't like Spaghetti!  My daughter was the pickiest eater when we started table food but this is the one dish that she loved.  It's become a staple in our house.  I like to simmer my sauce for a few hours letting the flavors marry but this can easily be made in 30 minutes when needed.  Freeze the extra sauce for a fast, last minute meal!
Ingredients:
(for the meat sauce)
1 lb Lean Ground Beef
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
1- 6oz can of Tomato Paste
1- 15 oz can of Tomato Sauce
1- 28 oz can of Whole Tomatoes
8 oz Water
1 & 1/2 tsp dried Italian Seasoning
1/2-1 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper

Spaghetti Pasta
Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese (for topping)
Fresh, Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped (for garnish)

Directions:
In a large pot, or dutch oven drizzle a little olive oil in the bottom & add the ground beef.  Season with salt & pepper & brown over medium heat.  When the meat starts to cook, add in the onion & garlic.  Cook until the onion is soft & the ground beef is no longer pink. 
 Add in the canned tomatoes (with all their juices), the tomato paste, the tomato sauce, water (I use the tomato sauce can filled half way) the dried Italian Seasoning & the garlic powder.  Stir to incorporate, breaking up the tomatoes with your spoon.  If you are in a hurry, simmer on low-medium uncovered for 20 minutes.  Prepare your pasta, according to the package directions, while it is simmering.  But don't forget to add salt to the pasta water!!  If you have some time, cover the sauce & simmer for as long as you can.  (Wait to cook your pasta if you are letting your sauce simmer for a while.)
 I try to let mine simmer for at least an hour.  But when I can cook it even longer.  Ever notice how spaghetti sauce tastes better left over?  It's because it's had time for it all the seasonings to blend with the meat & tomato sauce.  Cooking on low for a long time does the same thing.  The longer you simmer, the better it will be!
When you are ready to eat, uncover the sauce & let it simmer uncovered while you prepare the pasta. 
 Serve with lots of freshly grated Parmesan & a sprinkle of fresh chopped flat leaf parsley.
 Make a Caesar or simple green salad with vinaigrette dressing to complete the meal.
This recipe is for 8-10 servings.  I always freeze half of the sauce, so this makes 2 meals for my family (plus some left overs).

5 comments:

  1. MMMM spaghetti!! Actually, i did meet someone, or knew her and just found out she doesn't like spaghetti. I was very shocked to say the least! Looks wonderffuL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized that I have many days to cook this meal... mmm... yummy!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure when I was a kid all I ate was spaghetti with meat sauce and chicken nuggets. I'm over the nuggets, but a big plate of spaghetti covered in cheese is still one of my favourites. Your recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm I LOVE spaghetti. I haven't had it in a while and I think it's about time. Your spaghetti with meat sauce looks soooo delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete