Pan Seared Chicken Breasts with Caramelized Onions & Balsamic Vinegar

 This is my version of a recipe that I found on Cooking Light. I wish it photographed better because my pictures just don't do it justice.  It is so simple & with just a few ingredients it can easily be made in 30 minutes or less. Perfect for a weeknight meal but so tasty, I'd have no problems making this for guests too. The sweetness of the caramelized onion with the tangy balsamic vinegar are match made in heaven on top of chicken. It's one of my favorite combinations! It also goes great with some creamy mashed potatoes! I wrote this recipe for 2 servings (or 2 1/2 if your my family) but it can easily be adapted to feed 1 or as many people as you'd like!
Ingredients:
2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 large Yellow Onions, Sliced
1/4 cup Chicken Broth
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp Butter
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Directions:
Cut your onions in half, from root to tip then slice. Coat the bottom of a large chef's pan or skillet with olive oil & heat oven medium heat. Add sliced onions to the skillet & cook until golden brown (about 10 minutes) stirring frequently. 
 
Season the onions with a little salt & pepper & add in half (2 tbsp) of the chicken broth.  Cook until the liquid is evaporated, scraping down the bottom & sides of the pan.  Repeat with the other half of the broth.
 
Add in the balsamic vinegar & cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes.  Turn off the heat & keep warm until the chicken is ready. 
 Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat a little butter & a drizzle of olive oil over medium/ high heat.  I use about 1/4- 1/2 tbsp of each per chicken breasts. 
 Season the chicken breasts with a little salt & pepper. 
 When the pan is hot & the butter & olive oil have melted add the chicken.  
 Cook the chicken about 4-6 minutes per side or until fully cooked. 
 Plate the chicken, then generously top with the caramelized onions. 
 YUM!! 

3 comments:

  1. it's the ingredients that count. It looks and sounds delish! I also see little fleck of redskin in your potato. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had time to read recipes much, but I spotted this one and kept telling myself to take time and read it. Anywho, I am a true lover of balsamic. I could practically drink it! This looks amazing and I'm definitely making it. My mouth waters every time I look up at that last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe. Cooked it tonight and my family loved it. The only thing I changed was the balsamic vinegar to fine red wine vinegar. I also cooked the chicken breasts in the same pan as the cartelized onions. Of course, I Carmelites the onions first and then added the chicken towards the middle.

    Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete